Learn about coaching and meet the state of Iowa requirements for coaching authorization. You will integrate critical concepts from human development, anatomy/physiology, physical education with coaching philosophy and techniques, care and prevention of athletic injuries, and the ethics and legal aspects of coaching.
- Required Concussion Training
- Via the Iowa High School Athletic Association at Concussion Online Training. Log onto the site, click on the Free Sports Concussion Course, follow the directions, complete the course, print your certificate, and submit it to your instructor.
- Structure and Function of the Human Body
- Human Growth and Development
- Techniques and Theory
- Professional Ethics and Legal
- Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries and Medical and Safety Problems
Please read: Certification requires a minimum of 55 contact hours of coursework
. The state will require an application fee ($85) and background check
fee ($75) with a fingerprinting to be included with submission of state forms. These fees may be paid for online with a Credit Card ($3 service fee). Applicants that are under 20 years old will need to upload a copy of their high school diploma as a required transcript into the online application for coaching authorization. As of April 23, 2017, the BOEE requires all applications to provide documentation of current completion of a hands-on (not online) CPR training. Iowa Valley CE offers HeartSaver CPR/AED/First Aid to meet this requirement. Any official CPR training through the following reputable organizations will also be accepted: American Heart Association, American Red Cross, American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI), National Safety Council (NSC), or Medic First Aid.